Monday, March 29, 2010

Man or Myth?

Santa Claus.  The Easter Bunny.  The Tooth Fairy.  Dads who parent.

Mass media would have you think they're all fairy tales.

NORAD tracks Santa. The Easter Bunny will be hopping across the world this weekend.  The Tooth Fairy got some screen time in Hellboy 2: The Golden Army.  But Dads who parent?  Nada.






Parenting magazine until just recently went as far as stating their magazine covers "What Matters To Mom"  Do things not matter to Dad?  I am constantly bombarded by media messages that imply that Dads don't parent so I have created this blog to let the world know that things do matter to Dad.  Here is another Dad who is also making the effort.

So enough about why.

Who am I?

The long of it:  I love comic books, Star Wars, role playing games, strategy games, military history, alternate history.  I own over 500 books ranging in genres from the classics to sci-fi to history to "tin foil hat" concerns.  I work for LEGO.  I go to the library at least once a week.  I can debate the merits of the JLA over the Avengers.  Not only do I know there's more than one Green Lantern, I can name more Green Lanterns than there are states in the US.

The short story: I'm a geek.

I'm a dad of 3 kids who I hope inherit my love of all things geeky.  Their names reflect my geeky roots.  My eldest daughter (from my 1st marriage) Gabrielle Clio (aged 9) gets her middle name from the Greek Muse of History. My son's name appears as  Alexander John (aged 3) on his birth certificate, but has been called Lex since before he was born.  Yes, he is named for Lex Luthor.  My wife is a huge fan of comics and we decided early on that we would raise an evil genius.  When our 2nd child, a daughter, came along, I mentioned that had we known how mischievous Lex was going to be we should have named him Loki.  The name took and we cemented her status as Geekiest Child Ever by adding the middle name Chihiro for the little girl from Spirited Away.

This blog will chronicle my journey as my wife and I raise the Next Generation.  In the coming posts, i will properly introduce you to my 3 Geeks-In-Training.

1 comment:

  1. Great start to your blog! ^_^

    I am looking forward to reading more as you have the chance to post. I know how busy young kids must keep you, though mine are not so young anymore.

    ReplyDelete