Friday, November 12, 2010

40wp+(3*2m)+h2o=-5.5

Last year between September 2009 and May 2010, I lost about 65 pounds following the Weight Watchers plan.  I hit a plateau and found my weight loss stagnating.  I knew that dieting alone wasn't going to cut it anymore.  I needed to exercise.  One would think spring and summer time would be the best time to exercise.  Longer days, warmer weather.  Activities one could join.  Sports to play.  For multiple reasons, the exercise didn't materialize and my eating habits relaxed.  The result was I gained 16 pounds in the last 6 months.  Still down almost 50 pounds, but I was starting to feel ugh again.  This past Sunday, Cute Fan Girl and I decided to start dieting again.  We figured out our Weight Watcher points (40 for me) and I decided to go hard-core.  I started drinking more water and decided that I needed to exercise.  I looked into the Couch to 5K program and figured that was going to be the best method.  I'm not joining a gym, so running is it.  With my schedule, there really is no good time for this.  We're up at 6:00 every morning and I'm either out the door before 7:00, home with the kids or we're running errands (if only running errands involved running!).  We're home by 5:00 or 6:00 and by the time the kids are in bed it's often 8:00 or later.  

5:00 AM!  Of course!  Why hadn't thought of that!  Monday morning, I got up and dragged my butt out of bed.  I looked outside and it was sleeting.  Nope.  No way was I going to start in the freezing rain.  I went back to bed.  Tuesday, though, I got up and went out.  I started walking and knew instantly that my body wasn't ready to run.  Was there a Coma to Couch program available to get into shape?  I am proud to say I walked hard for 30 minutes.  Wednesday was a rest day (the Couch to 5K people recommend 3 days a week) and my body needed it.  My shins ached.  Yesterday morning I again got up (at my usual 6:00 AM-I didn't need to be to work until later) and walked 2 miles.  Again a very brisk pace.  Threw in some hills and was feeling good.  This morning, Loki was up at 5:00 AM and I decided that I might as well go for a walk.  I got out there and walked another 2 miles.  Towards the end of the walk, my body felt good.  It felt like running.  So I did.  For about a minute, before my body decided that was good, we could stop now.  My feet also agreed-I need to get proper running shoes if I'm going to run.

All in all, I feel good.  I've been following my Weight Watchers points (actually left 8 points on the table yesterday) and drinking gallons of water.  I'm down 5.5 pounds in five days.  I know this trend won't continue long, but I feel great about the start!

No comments:

Post a Comment