Sunday, January 3, 2010

34 Points

Sometime ago, my wife joined Weight Watchers and I decided to tag along as support.  I don't actually go to the meetings, just follow along at home.  I have found the program to be amazingly helpful.  It forces me to take a look at exactly what is going into my body.  Based on your age, weight, gender and activity level you are given a point threshold.  My point total right now is 34 points a day.  Every food you eat has a point value and you can eat whatever you want as long as you don't go over the point threshold.

Pretty simple, huh?  It is, but in the first few days of the program it took a lot of adapting.  Just as an example, my usual Taco Bell meal consisted of 2 bean burritos, 1 chicken chalupa, nachos and a Mountain Dew.  That adds up to 36 points.  And that used to be just my lunch!  How about a Mac & Cheese Breadbowl from Dominos?  It's one item, it certainly looks like it should be one serving (Dominos only provides one fork per bowl).  Wash that puppy down with a Mountain Dew and I just consumed 42 points.  Again, just one meal.  I estimate my daily intake pre-diet point totals had to be easily 75-80 points.

Since "joining" Weight Watchers in September I have lost 51 pounds.  As I said in my resolutions I would like to lose 40 more pounds.  With the holiday season and work being so busy, I got away from calculating my points.  I didn't slip up so much as I didn't lose as much as I could have.  I'm OK with that; I needed to survive the holidays.  So as of this morning, I'm back to calculating points.  Breakfast was two homemade breakfast sandwiches (each sandwich = 1 egg, 1 slice turkey bacon and 1/2 slice of cheese on a multigrain english muffin) for a total of 9 points.  Compare that with 2 Bacon, Egg & Cheese Biscuits from McDonalds: 20 points.

Here's a chart of my weight loss since I started (thanks to my wife!)

Now that we're exercising more (played Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort last night for an hour), I'm hoping to see the progress continue!

2 comments:

  1. Each time I've gone on wight loss attempts in the past, I've used Atkins, and it worked. This isn't all that different - a system that limits the bad stuff, emphasizes the good and controls portions. It would probably work for me. Got any resources for someone who totally doesn't want to pay for the program?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oddly, for a company that charges for all this info, you can find almost all the information online. To figure out how many points you're allowed, the info is here:
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080829122251AAtb3zk
    For food point values there is a list:
    http://quiddity.cc/rachel/diet/wwfoods.htm
    And finally a handy dandy calculator that calculates the points for you:
    http://www.webmilhouse.com/pointcalc.php
    Kim has some booklets that WW publishes, we'll be glad to loan them to you if you want!
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete