Friday, January 1, 2010

Open letter to John Grisham (spoilers for the Associate)

Dear John (yes, it's going to be that type of letter),

I know we've been seeing each other off and on for 18 years, but I'm sorry to say the thrill is gone.  I think back to those heady first days of our relationship.  The Firm swept me off my feet; then A Time To Kill.  You had me by the time I finished Pelican Brief.

You published a book and I was there.  Working in the book industry, I got to see you before the public.  We had something special.  Runaway Jury?  Read it weeks before the rest of the world.  Street Lawyer?  I was out of the book industry then, but I was there the day it was released.  I plunked down my $24.  I read it all that night.

And then something happened.  At the turn of the century, your books changed.  Subtly at first, and then more drastic.  I labored through The Brethren for you.  One bad book.  It happens.  I had faith.  Painted House? Skipping Christmas?  Where was the love we shared?  The passion?  But then word came out.  The Summons was your return to legal thrillers.  A 'return to Grisham greatness' some critic said.  But it wasn't.  I was left feeling like you didn't care anymore.  There was some flashes of the lost passion in King of Torts, Last Juror and The Broker.  Not great, but good.  The love was still there, it just needed to be kindled.  And then 2006?  Nothing.  Nothing?  Well, you must be recharging your batteries, I thought.  You'd be back.  And you were...with Playing for Pizza?!?  For this I waited? Really?


The Appeal  came out about two years ago and you left me unfulfilled.  I admit, I waited until it was in paperback.  Speaking of confessions, I'll admit that while you've been unfaithful with your "literary" fiction, i too have strayed.  Brad Metzler, Vince Flynn, Richard North Patterson, Scott Turow.  With the exception of Scott, none of them matched the thrill I had with you and your first novels.

And now, today.  I just finished The Associate.  Really?  Do you care about me anymore?  This feels like you mailed it in.  I saw it in the library.  The cover blurb compared it to The Firm.   I'll admit I hadn't even known the book was out.  That's how far we have drifted John.  I borrowed it from the library.  This too shows how far we have drifted.  I started reading and it happened-I had been waiting for this for 5 or 6 novels.  The old magic was there.  I cared about Kyle.  How was he going to pull this off?  How would he do the right thing, get the girl, screw the legal profession and still live happily ever after?  I'll admit that I thought Kyle should have handled things a bit differently in the beginning.  Maybe confide in his dad, go to the authorities, try to reconcile things with Elaine.  You know, common sense things; but where would the novel have gone?  Where would the suspense be?  I trusted you.  You were going to give a ride like I hadn't said since The Firm.  We had secret visits to a spy shop.  Hidden communications between friends.  A smart girl friend who could help. Kyle was putting together a plan.  And then it happened.  You must have had to wrap this up pretty quick, because all of a sudden Kyle is confiding in his dad, going to the authorities and trying to reconcile things with Elaine.  And the novel was over.  The bad guy gets away.  The girl friend pretty much disappears.  The law firm is still screwing everyone.  And Kyle may live happily ever after, or he may not.  Really?  After everything we've been through together, John?  This is what it's come to?

Well, this is it for me, John.  It's been an amazing ride, but looking back it's all been downhill from A Time to Kill.  Those were some great days, John, but I have to stop living in the past.  I loved you man, but it's over.

Yours no more,
Mad Dog

No comments:

Post a Comment