Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Can We Build It?

Yes we can! At least, we are learning to. One of the skills that my father neglected to teach me was how to do anything with tools. Just ask my my mom about my aborted attempts to fix a shower head or install a screen on the back door. My only official learned experience with tools was 7th grade shop class and to be honest, I was much more comfortable in Home Economics.

I truly hope my children know the difference between pliers & wrenches and know which screwdriver is called Phillip. Lex & I have begun attending Lowe's Build & Grow clinics.  Thus far, we have built a kaleidoscope, a mini basketball game, a baseball game and last week a planter.  With the exception of the kaleidoscope, all have been great successes.  Daddy failed to read the instructions for the kaleidoscope and ours ended up being quite lopsided.  Lesson learned: Read the directions.  Right up there with Measure twice, cut once.

So far, Lex seems to really enjoy it and we're talking about getting him his own real tool kit for X-Mas.  I highly recommend the classes.  The website says it's for grades 1-5, but as long as you're willing to help the little one, it seems any age can participate.

1 comment:

  1. you have inspired me to take Miles to one of these... I always thought he was too young! (of course I can't make it to either of the next two ones...)

    ReplyDelete