Friday, April 9, 2010

How've you been?

I am continually amazed when I open my Facebook page and find friend requests from people with whom I went to high school. As I am now, I was a geek in high school. Unfortunately, being a geek wasn't as cool in the 80s as it is now (unless you looked like Val Kilmer in Weird Science Real Genius, but that wasn't happening-I was more a cross between Crispin Glover from Back to the Future and John Cusack from Better Off Dead). I had a small handful of really good friends but otherwise kept to myself. I didn't branch out socially until I got a job at the local Stop & Shop and made friends from all over the Pioneer Valley area.

So I find it humorous when people with whom my only interaction in high school went kinda like this actually want to be my Facebook friend.:
THEM: Hey, there's Genny (my delightful high school nom de non-choice). Let's shove him in a locker!
ME (studiously ignore THEM)

Really? Should we get together for beers and swap stories about high school? Like that time we...oh, wait, you didn't talk to me in high school. I've actually challenged people to recall their favorite memory of me from high school.  I usually don't get a response, which pretty much sums up my favorite memory of them, but I've actually gotten responses of "I don't really remember, but we should definitely catch up."  What I want to respond with is: 'Uhm, there's nothing to catch up on.  This Facebook interaction is 10 times the amount of conversation we had in high school.'

2 comments:

  1. Val Kilmer wasn't in Weird Science!! That was Anthony Michael Hall. Val was in Real Genius. Oh and Top Secret - Chocolate Mousse anyone?

    I had a few people from grade school "friend" me. Then they went all super conservative-Christian pushy and I unfriended them and not subtly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doh! I just lost my 80's geek cred.

    ReplyDelete